Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chicken Fried Rice...Without rice? (And Lent with Meat)

I decided to take a different approach to Lent this year. Traditionally, during Lent you give up meat and dairy products but if I did that I would be eating nothing but vegetables and I don't think I could last 40 day's. I believe lent is time for reducing the excess and focusing on what is important, kind of like spring cleaning for the Soul. Occasionally I "treat" myself to things outside of my diet. I try to limit it as much as possible and make it special, like chocolate covered strawberries on Valentines day, so that a little goes a long way. So, I've given up all my indulgences: sugar/sugar substitutes, grain's and alcohol completely, no treats/cheats. This lent I want be healthy in spirit as well as body.

With that in mind here's a treat without the cheat:
Chicken Fried Rice(d cauliflower)
You will Need:

  • Cooking oil
  • Boneless Chicken or Pork
  • 1 Cauliflower
  • 2 Carrots
  • Pea's
  • Soya sauce
  • Worcestershire sauce (optional)
  • salt to taste
Finding a healthy frying fat that is easy to cook with is difficult; most vegetable oils are bad for you, olive oil can go rancid and butter burns. So, my new favourite ingredient is Clarified butter, it's perfect for frying. You can make your own but I found this at a local grocery store in the "international food" isle:
Start buy adding just enough oil to the bottom of a fry pan or wok, sesame oil is another good choice for this recipe. Cut meat in to bite size pieces and at to the pan and cook on medium.

While meat is cooking finely chop the cauliflower into rice size pieces. Peal the carrots and grate them.

When the meat is cooked add in the cauliflower and carrots and stir fry (stir while frying) for about 5 minutes.
Add pea's.
Then add a splash of worcestershire sauce and soya sauce. You want to add the soya sauce a little at a time; too much and your dish will become salty, wet and soggy.
Cook until the cauliflower is tender but firm. Add salt to taste.
You can also add other veggies like corn, onion, peppers but make sure to chop them finely.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment