Sunday, February 05, 2012

A Fresh Start with Mushroom Soup

I'm making a fresh start and I want this blog to be a part of it.
I decided to start this blog for two reasons:
1. When I started eating "low carb" (paleo/atkins) I noticed that there is a misconception that if you cut the carbs out of your diet that your food is boring, all you eat is steak and pork rinds. Well, I personaly have never eaten pork rinds in my whole life. I do love a nicely seard steak but I eat it with buttered mushrooms, green beans or salad.
2. The second is that I’ve enjoyed following some my friends blogs: The Keezer’s couch blog, The Gourmet Mommy, & Tim & Katherine’s blog. Each is very real look into there lives and is encouraging to hear about there struggles and successes. I realized that my experience is relevant (and if you don’t think so, tough banana’s, don’t read on.)
And I wanted to share my journey so far.

So here goes:
About four years ago I started gaining weight. It started out slowly, a few pounds a month, then it started to speed up. The Doctors I went to weren’t much help; “Eat Less- Exercise More” “Your not eating white bread & whole milk, are you?”
No, I was eating whole grain bread & pasta, lean meat, skim milk and protein shakes.
I don’t know exactly how much I gained because after 100lbs I stopped weighing myself.

I felt fat, lazy, stupid, and I felt other people were thinking the same of me. But worst of all I felt helpless because I could control my own body.

Back in the spring I watched this fantastic documentery “Fat Head” and it changed my view of health and nutrition. If you’ve never seen this movie I highly recommend it, it’s on Netflicks, iTunes, and I will even let you borrow my copy. But the two big things I learn for it where:
1. Eating fat is not bad for you, including natural saturated fat.
2. Fat storage is controlled by one thing - insulin
When insulin is up you are storing fat and you cannot burn it.
And what raises insulin? Carbohydrates - pasta, bread, rice, potato’s, cereal & the big offender: Sugar. And if you’ve read the ingredients of any processed food you know that sugar is in everything (including whole wheat bread)!

I cut all the carbs out of my diet (except vegetables) and after a couple months I lost 40 lbs.

As most of you know I hate having my picture taken and it has only been worst the past couple years but for the sake of comparison and for any of you who are struggling, this is what I look like today:
 I know that 40lbs is nothing to sneeze at but I've still got a way's to go. This fall and winter it's been difficult to stick with it especially over the holidays, I've been stalled at my current weight and was feeling discouraged. But I recently saw a before/after picture of a fellow low-carber and was inspired. I hope that I can that inspirational story to someone someday soon.

I also wanted to share one of my favourite recopies with you. My husband who hates mushrooms love this:


Mushroom Soup
(You’ll never eat it from a can again)

You need:
2 packages of Mushrooms
1 Onion
4 tbsp butter divided
2 cups beef broth (1/2 Carton)
2 Cups cream
Just a note about the ingredients:
For more flavorful soup; Mushrooms should be just starting to brown, I try to get mine off the almost-gone-bad fruit/vegetable cart. If you substitute beef broth for homemade it might need some added salt.


Slice onion & mushrooms.
Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a sauce pan over medium/low heat. Add onion and fry until golden brown.
Add the other 2tbsp of butter.
Once it’s melted add mushrooms. Stirring the mushrooms, fry until they start giving off there juices.
Add the broth and simmer covered for 10-20 min.
Using a blender or food processor (don’t use a hand blender, it doesn’t work) pureay the mushrooms & broth to your taste. A few quick pulses for chunky or longer for smooth. Careful, it’s really hot!
Pour back in the pot and add cream. Heat until simmering but don’t let it boil.
Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Glad to see you blog Laura! It must have been difficult to cut out carbs, but it's great to hear about how far you've come, keep up the good work!
    This soup looks really good, I'm going to have to try it :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there my long lost "twin" :). Would you believe I made an essentially identical soup yesterday? I've used the basic recipe for years (with chicken broth), but my partner who is far more of a gourmet than I suggested this time we put in some tarragon while the mushrooms and onions were sauteing. I also sauteed a chicken breast to add a little extra protein to each bowl, and he deglazed the pan with some white wine and tossed that in the soup. Delish!
    Primal (/paleo/low carb etc) food *is* wonderfully flavorful, and this is a fantastic idea for a blog. My partner has done the primal diet before and lost nearly 40lbs. I'm working on the sneaky 20 that caught me in the past year (half way there since Jan 1st!) and feel wonderfully energetic without the carb crash after every other meal. Best of luck to you, and I look forward to reading more!

    -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound delicious. I'm curious, how did you learn about the Primal diet?

      Delete
  3. This blog is a great idea Laura! I look forward to watching you on your journey and picking up some tips! :) Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I stumbled across your new blog Laura, and so impressed that you lost 40 POUNDS! That's amazing! Also thanks for the mention :)

    The soup looks delicious. Even though we don't eat totally Paleo I'm always on the look out for good Paleo recipes because I know they'll be healthy - good fats, veggies and meat. One of our favourite soup recipes EVER is this Roasted Vegetable Minestrone [http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/09/roasted-vegetable-minestrone/] from Pioneer Woman. It's so delicious I'm sure you'd never miss the pasta if you just left it out.

    Also, have you read Nourishing Traditions yet? You totally should if you haven't. It was what got me started on my own healthy eating obsession.

    ReplyDelete